Law for Community Workers
Looking for practical training about the law that is designed for community workers?
Community workers can play a key role in assisting their clients to access legal help. Law for Community Workers is a free education program for community workers in all fields of community work.
The program comprises a series of free webinars about the law, the legal system, and legal procedures. It is legal information for non-lawyers. It aims to help community workers to:
- identify legal problems
- assist their clients to understand the legal system and legal procedures
- understand the range of legal assistance services available in South Australia and
- make timely appropriate referrals for legal assistance and advice.
The webinars focus on key areas of law that are relevant for community workers and their clients. Our current schedule is below. We schedule the program in six month blocks. We repeat some topics and change other topics in each block.
Law for Community Workers Schedule
Below is the program for the second half of 2019 - all sessions in this period are on a Thursday.
July - December 2019
Child Protection -
Family Law -
|Legal Responses |
to Elder Abuse
Centrelink - The
Tenancy Law Basics
|7 November||Register here|
Frequently Asked Questions
When are the sessions held?
Sessions are usually scheduled from 12.30-1.30pm on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
Where are the sessions held?
The sessions are all webinars so you can attend from the convenience of your office or home. We have a user-friendly webcast system.
How do I register?
Register by using the registration links above.
Who presents the sessions?
The sessions are all presented by lawyers from the Legal Services Commission who are experienced in their field.
Do you provide resources?
A copy of the slides will be provided. We also have online and hard copy resources and publications, that you can access and order for free.
Will you do a session about ... ?
If you would like a session on a particular topic, email the LCW Coordinator to let us know - see email details at the bottom of this page.
Add webinar details to you calender using the easy button on the booking page.
Headphones are recommended.
If you think your workplace might block webinars: talk to your IT team. We suggest that, well before the webinar starts, you ask your IT team if you can have access to GoToWebinar as a 'safe site'; or alternatively ask if you can get access for each webinar you want to do. (GoToWebinar is our webinar software program.)
On the day
Before you start - get comfy - grab your lunch and a drink.
Have pen and paper for notes.
Feedback from Participants
- "Very easy to understand without complex legal terminology - very helpful for non-lawyers."
- "Thank you, very insightful, and I gained knowledge that I can apply to the work that I do."
- "Excellent content and delivery both visually and audibly."
- "Presenter very engaging and knowledgeable."
- "Today was my first webinar and I found it insightful and informative. A great way to share and access information. Certainly interested in tuning into others in the future."
Further Information about Law for Community Workers
For information about the Law for Community Workers program contact the LCW Coordinator, Paula Meegan.
ph. 8111 5749