Family Advocacy and Support Service (FASS)
Duty Lawyer Service and Social Support Service
The Family Advocacy and Support Service (FASS) provides duty lawyer and social support services to people with family law matters who have been affected by family violence. The Legal Services Commission of SA also has duty lawyers at the Family Law Courts able to assist in matters where the person is not affected by family violence.
Duty lawyers can:
- Provide family law advice about your Court hearing and/or legal problem
- Help with adjournments – generally limited to adjournments of the first court appearance
- Help with Legal Aid applications
- Provide referrals to private practitioners and other services
Duty lawyers cannot:
- Prepare complex court documents, e.g. applications/responses and affidavits
- Represent you for interim hearings, contravention applications and final hearings (trials)
- Provide specific legal advice or representation in Court if there is a conflict of interest (for example, if the other party or a child is represented, or has previously been represented, by a Legal Services Commission lawyer). In such cases the duty lawyer will provide general information only.
- Provide specific legal advice regarding property settlements (only general information and advice)
- Assist with Youth Court (care and protection) matters
A social worker, located at the Family Law Courts, can help you engage with the family law processes safely and help you with safety planning.
The social worker can connect with all the relevant services that you need, such as accommodation, financial counselling, and other social support.
The duty lawyers and social workers are located at the Family Law Courts, 3 Angas Street, Adelaide each day with the reception located on the ground floor.
No appointment is required but priority is given to clients who have a hearing listed in Court that day. Please do not bring children to your appointment.
To contact FASS telephone: (08) 8111 5300.
FASS is funded by the Australian Government.
A factsheet about the service is available from our publications page.
Family Advocacy and Support Service
Level 1, 3 Angas Street, Adelaide SA 5000
View Larger Map
Telephone (08) 8111 5300