Domestic Violence Advice
The Commission recognises the unique problems faced by victims of domestic violence and has put in place policies to promote access to services for victims. A legal adviser who specialises in domestic violence is available to assist victims with legal matters where domestic violence is a factor. Appointments may be made by telephoning us on 8111 5600 or 1300 366 424. This service is free of charge.
We can advise and assist in relation to:
- intervention order matters
- the victim's role and rights in the criminal justice process
- family law matters, such as arrangements for children, child support and family dispute resolution
- care and protection (child welfare) matters
- credit, debt and housing matters
- immigration matters that may arise upon the breakdown of a relationship due to domestic violence
We may further assist victims to complete an application for legal aid or provide referrals to other services.
If a victim requires counselling and/or other practical support, including safe accommodation, they should telephone the Domestic Violence Crisis Line on 1800 800 098.
In case of emergency within South Australia, a victim or concerned person should telehone police on 000. For police attendance, telephone 131 444.