skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Arrangements for children

TEMPORARY UPDATE: During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it is important to have access to reliable information to allow parenting arrangements to continue in the best interests of a child, and where necessary, compliance with any relevant court orders.

The Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia Courts are regularly updating information relating to the operation of the Courts and their management of COVID-19.

Federal Circuit Court [link opens in new window]

Family Court [link opens in a new window]

In addition, as of 29 April 2020 the Courts have each established a court list dedicated to dealing exclusively with urgent family law disputes that have arisen as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

For further information on the National COVID-19 List please click here [link opens in new window]

The Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia have issued practical information for parents below:

Federal Circuit Court of Australia [link opens in a new window]

Family Court of Australia [link opens in a new window]

Family Relationships Online (an Australian Government initiative) has produced useful information for parents and carers during this time, including mental health support services.

Family Relationships Online [link opens in a new window]

Get Legal Help

The Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) encourages parents to resolve disputes without going to court and, where possible, to have cooperative and shared parenting after separation.

Family law proceedings for all children, whether their parents are married or not, are covered by the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) [Part VII] and all references in this section are to this Act unless stated otherwise.

Under the Act each parent has parental responsibility for their children until they attain the age of 18 years (or earlier if the child marries). This responsibility is not diminished by any orders made in respect of the parenting of the child except to the extent specifically provided in the order.

For a list of family dispute resolution services in South Australia, see the Family Dispute Resolution Provider Register maintained by the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department.

If a court application is necessary, the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court can deal with matters in relation to children. See Which Court?

The Commonwealth Attorney General's Department have a comprehensive guide to Parenting Orders available on the Attorney-General's website- see Parenting Orders- What You Need to Know.

Arrangements for children  :  Last Revised: Tue May 5th 2020
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.