skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

How can I end my registered relationship?

Either or both of the persons in a registered relationship may apply to revoke the registration of the relationship. If the application is made by only one person, that person should accompany the application with proof of service of the notice on the other person. A “cooling off period” of 90 days applies. During this time, an applicant may withdraw the application for revocation. The Registrar must revoke the registration as soon as practicable after the end of the cooling off period. A registered relationship will be taken to end in the following circumstances:

  • On the death of a person in the relationship
  • On the marriage of a person in the relationship
  • When the Registrar makes an entry into the Register following an application for the revocation of the registration

See sections 10-13 of the Relationships Register Act 2016 (SA).

How can I end my registered relationship?  :  Last Revised: Thu Feb 8th 2018
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.