Who may apply to register a relationship?
Any two people over the age of 18 who are in a relationship as a couple, and irrespective of their sex or gender diversity, may apply to register their relationship, provided that:
- At least one person resides in South Australia
- Neither of them is married under the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth)
- Neither of them is already in a registered relationship (including a registered relationship under a corresponding law declared in the Relationships Register Regulations 2017 (SA))
- Neither of them is in a relationship as a couple with anyone else
- They are not related by family (i.e. grandparent, parent, brother or sister)
The application must be accompanied by the prescribed fee, as well as a statutory declaration by each person in the relationship.
See sections 5-6 of the Relationships Register Act 2016 (SA).
For more information about making an application, see the SA Gov- Register a Relationship website.
Who may apply to register a relationship? : Last Revised: Tue Feb 6th 2018
The content of the Law
Handbook is made available as
a public service
for information purposes only
and should not be relied upon
as a substitute for legal
advice. See Disclaimer
details. For free and
confidential legal advice
in South Australia call 1300