skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Banner image

Forum Test
The Commission will only grant aid for cases to be heard in South Australia.

If a case is to be heard elsewhere, or is likely to be heard elsewhere (for example because previous proceedings were heard elsewhere or because children the subject of the family law dispute live elsewhere), the application should be made to the legal aid body in that State or Territory.

Once aid is granted, the grant remains the responsibility of the Commission unless the hearing of the proceedings moves and the aided person leaves or has never resided in South Australia. In that case, the applicant has to reapply to the legal aid body in the new State or Territory. Qualification for aid in one jurisdiction does not necessarily result in qualification in another.

If a matter is funded in one State or Territory, and then in another, the second funding body will collect and pass on any money due to the first funding body at the end of the grant.