skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Police action

Family violence is a crime and should be reported to the police immediately or as soon as possible. If an assault, or some other offence is committed, the police should charge the offender. The police have a duty to arrest and charge anyone they reasonably suspect has committed a crime. An offender who is released by the police should be placed on bail.

Any person who obtains an intervention order from the State Magistrates Court or an injunction from the Family Law Courts should take a copy of the order to the local police station so that they are familiar with the case if police help is needed in the future. They should also keep a copy of the orders with them so that they can show police if it is necessary for the police to be called. If the perpetrator has been convicted and released on a bond with conditions, again it is advisable to alert the local police to those terms and conditions.

In an emergency: 000

For police attendance: 131 444

Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1800 800 098

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732.

Police action  :  Last Revised: Fri May 30th 2014
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.