skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Law Handbook banner image

Getting help for children

Can children be affected?

Yes, children can suffer emotionally and physically as a result of being exposed to violence within their family.

They might withdraw, feel helpless and/or blame themselves. They might develop problems with wetting, soiling and sleeping.

They might copy violent behaviour and think that it is normal.

For more information, see the Domestic Violence Hurts Children Too!! brochure produced by the National Association for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (NAPCAN).

Where can children get help?

Children can get free, private and confidential telephone and online counselling from the Kids Helpline.

Telephone: 1800 55 1800 or visit the Kids Helpline website.

If children feel in danger, they can also call the police.

In an emergency: 000

For police attendance: 131 444

The police and the Department for Child Protection are available to step into any situation where a child has been assaulted. Any person who believes that a child is in any danger from assault or is abused or neglected by her or his parents or a guardian or other persons, should report this to the Department for Child Protection.

Child Abuse Report Line: 13 14 78.

A number of professional people who come into contact with children in the course of their work are obliged by law to report suspected cases of child abuse. For more information, see CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE, Child Protection, Notification.

In an emergency: 000

For police attendance: 131 444

Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1800 800 098

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732.

Getting help for children  :  Last Revised: Tue Oct 2nd 2018
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.