skip to content

Refine results

Search by

Search by Algolia
Banner image

Tips on dealing with insurance after a disaster

  • When it is safe to return to your property, you should make your own initial assessment of damage to your property. If damage has been suffered you should make contact with your insurer or insurance broker as soon as possible, so that the claims process can commence as quickly as possible.
  • Don’t be concerned if your insurance documents have been lost or damaged. Insurance companies keep records electronically and only require the policyholder’s name and address in order to locate a policy.
  • The Insurance Council of Australia may be able to advise anyone who may be having difficulty finding their insurance documents, or who have queries about who their insurer may be, on 1800 734 621 for assistance.
  • The Financial Services Council may also be able to assist affected individuals, or relatives and friends of people affected by natural disaster, who are unable to determine who their life insurer is, on (02) 9299 3022.
  • If you are having difficulty with your insurer regarding your claim, you can contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) on 1800 931 678. AFCA is an independent dispute resolution service provided free to consumers.

Additional resources:

  • See the Law Handbook: Natural Disasters and Insurance
  • You can contact the Insurance Council's Catastrophe Claims Unit hotline on 1800 734 621 or online to discuss your claim.
  • If you are having problems with your insurer, please seek legal advice. In particular, if you have advised your insurer of a claim and have not been given a claim number or been told that you do not have a claim, you need advice urgently.
  • Please call the Legal Helpline on 1300 366 424 for free legal help.